Monday, December 19, 2011

All-American Egg Mug

Per Serving (entire recipe): 4 Points+
173 calories, 4g fat, 730mg sodium, 7.5g carbs, <0.5g fiber, 2g sugars, 22g protein


The recipe: "300 under 300", page 24
or http://www.hungry-girl.com/newsletters/raw/1499


Until today, I have yet to write a review on one of the Hungry Girl egg mug recipes.  I always thought it was weird to cook eggs in the microwave, and have always cooked them in some way over the stove or in the oven.  Long ago, I tried an egg mug and wasn't all that impressed.  However, I figured if I am going to review Hungry Girl recipes, then I can't ignore a whole group of recipes just because of my fear of microwaved eggs.

So, I started with a pretty basic egg mug recipe.  Egg Beaters, veggie sausage patty, syrup and cheese were the only ingredients in this egg mug.  I do have to say, it came out surprisingly good!  I thought the eggs would turn out rubbery, having been cooked in the microwave, but they didn't at all.  I think stirring the eggs in the middle of the cooking process helped enormously. 

I liked the way this tasted, with the syrup creating a nice sweet and savory flavor combination.  I did take HG's advice, and immediately soaked the mug in water after I was done eating.  Crusted-on cooked egg did not seem like it would be fun to clean up later.  By soaking it, I didn't have any problems when I went to wash the mug a little later. 

I am now less of a skeptic about the egg mugs.  Next time, I might try something a little lower in calories.  I am not going all out yet and saying I am a fan, though.  It might take a few more egg mugs to convince me that the microwave is a true option for cooking eggs.

3 comments:

  1. I've hesitated on these recipes for the same reason. Who wants rubbery eggs? Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had an egg mug explode in my face after only 1 minute in the microwave! I nearly burned forehead. I guess you really have to stir before you cook it AND half way through to avoid a medical disaster.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have tried several of Hungry Girl egg mug recipes and have loved every one. Microwaves are all different, I suggest watching closing to see if cooking times need to be adjusted. Going to make a classic one for breakfast right now.

    ReplyDelete