Monday, December 5, 2011

Chocolate-Coated Mousse-Cream Cones

Per Serving (1 cone): 2 Points+
84 calories, 1g fat, 134mg sodium, 20g carbs, 0.5g fiber, 2g sugars, 1g protein


The recipe: "Hungry Girl: Recipes and Survival Strategies...", pages 172 - 173
or http://www.hungry-girl.com/newsletters/raw/649


These mousse cones not only sounded delicious and easy to make, but they were such a cute idea I just had to try them.  I made two batches - one chocolate and one vanilla.  The funny thing is, I don't ever look up the official Hungry Girl photo of the recipes (unless they are in the cookbook) until I am writing my blog.  I then look it up to get the nutritional information from the website, and that is when I usually see the picture and compare it to how mine turned out.  In her photo, she also made a chocolate version and a vanilla version.  Nice!  I guess great minds think alike - ha, ha!

Anyway, the main suggestion I would make with these is related to the chocolate syrup.  I can only ever find the lite syrup, so I am not sure if the sugar free tastes any better.  My suggestion is to only use a teaspoon of the lite chocolate syrup to coat the ice cream cones instead of a whole tablespoon.  Most of the syrup ended up settling into the bottom of the cone, which left a pretty gross final bite of what is an otherwise tasty dessert.  To me, the lite chocolate syrup has a very chemically taste to it, and in larger quantities does not have a good taste.  As a topping for ice cream, or combined with something else, it is just fine.  But, by itself, it is not even close to being good.  After eating one of these, and enjoying the mousse in the cute little ice cream cone, I got to the bottom of the cone.  It was filled with the lite chocolate syrup, and the bite was actually pretty disgusting.  I would suggest either skipping the chocolate syrup altogether, or just using a teaspoon to coat the inside of the cone.

The other thing to be aware of when making these is that the recipe does not say that the Cool Whip should be dethawed first.  In order to mix it with the pudding snack, it obviously has to be dethawed.  I ended up having to wait a little bit to make these since I hadn't thawed the Cool Whip first.  Duh! 

After filling the cones with the mousse, I froze them again for about 20 minutes, just to make them solidify a little more again.  They were definitely fun to eat.  I felt as though I were eating a creamy ice cream cone.  Yum! 

As for the two flavors, the chocolate was MUCH better than the vanilla mousse.  I am a chocolate lover, but even taking that into consideration, the vanilla just tasted boring to me.  And that was after having drizzled chocolate syrup over the top, as HG suggested. 

Overall, if you take all of the above into consideration when making these, you will have a yummy, fun dessert.  This one is good for kids, too!

1 comment:

  1. These remind me of those cupcake cones we had as a kid. This is a great trip down memory lane without the extra calories.

    ReplyDelete