Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Veggie-Friendly Asian Lettuce Cups

PER SERVING (3 wraps): 5 Points+
220 calories, 3.5g fat, 971mg sodium, 30g carbs, 8g fiber, 10g sugars, 21g protein


The recipe: "Hungry Girl: Recipes and Survival Strategies...", page 81
or http://www.hungry-girl.com/newsletters/raw/1072


Yesterday, I began my boot camp class that I had posted about last week.  I was so excited to get back on plan with exercising and counting calories again.  Unfortunately, my good ole hubby is apparently not on board with exercising and counting calories.  Since I was getting home late, he thought he would be nice and pick up KFC grilled chicken with a bunch of different sides.  Now, grilled chicken from KFC is NOT the healthy, skinless, grilled chicken breast you would make at home.  I was disappointed that I wasn't going to be able to stay on plan because he had bought all of this fattening, high-calorie fast food.  I even had a plate filled with the awful food, when I stopped myself and thought, "Why am I eating this?".  I then realized there was no reason why I couldn't whip up a healthy dinner just for myself.  If everyone else wanted to eat KFC, that was up to them.  But, that didn't mean that I had to sabotage my healthy day at dinnertime.

So, I quickly made this recipe.  It turned out delicious, and was just was I wanted after a workout.  A good amount of protein, veggies, and low-calorie.  Thai lettuce wraps are one of my favorite appetizers to get at a restaurant.  While not as good as the Totally Thai Chicken Lettuce Cups I made previously, these were quicker to make (no meat to have to pre-cook) and still tasted pretty good.  They had a good spice to them, and were nice and flavorful.  I loved the crunch that the water chestnuts added to the lettuce cups. 

The only thing I changed was the chili sauce in the sauce recipe.  I did not have garlic chili sauce, so I just used regular chili sauce and added a little bit of minced garlic to the sauce recipe.  It still tasted great, and had a really good flavor.  I liked the amount of spice it had - spicy, but not mouth-burning spicy. 

After my workout, I was so starving I ended up eating the entire dish for dinner.  Luckily, it was only two servings, so I was still only eating 440 calories for dinner.  Not too bad!

2 comments:

  1. This recipe sounds good. My daughter and I love Thai food. I cooked separate meals for me and my husband for close to two years before he decided to give WW a try. It's a pain but sometimes it's for the best. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We just made something exactly like this the other night! Lettuce wraps are so versatile - you can go Asian, Mexican ... it's all so good! And an easy way to save calories.

    ReplyDelete