Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Banana Split Bread

Per Serving (1/8th of recipe, 1 thick slice): 4 Points+
169 calories, 1.5g fat, 267mg sodium, 35.5g carbs, 3.75g fiber, 13g sugars, 5g protein


The recipe: "300 under 300", pages 116 - 117


Over the weekend, I noticed that we had several bananas that were way too ripe to eat, so I went to my trusty HG cookbooks to see if there was a banana bread recipe.  This one sounded delicious (with banana split in the title, how could I resist?), and I was excited to try a new banana bread other than the standard one I usually make.  I had to go to the store to buy unsweetened applesauce, sugar free strawberry preserves, and whole wheat flour - a little more work, since I had all the ingredients on hand for my usual recipe.  Was it worth it?  Yes!


The only drawback to making this version is that my husband does not like chocolate chips in his banana bread.  This means I won't be having any help from him with eating this.  With 8 servings, I will be eating banana bread for breakfast for quite some time!  Luckily, I love it.  It came out moist and dense, so even though one slice of banana bread doesn't seem like a lot for breakfast, this actually has filled me up nicely for breakfast for the past couple of mornings.  I eat a slice with a piece of fruit and I am good until my morning snack (another piece of fruit). 

The recipe calls for a cup and a half of mashed bananas, which the cookbook says is equivalent to about four bananas.  I only ended up using three bananas, since they were all pretty large.  So, if you have large bananas, you will probably only need three of them. 

Another note about the banana bread - because it uses mostly whole wheat flour, it does have a different texture than if you use white flour.  I actually like the denser, sort of chewy texture that whole grains give baked goods.  If you are opposed to it, you can always use white flour instead.  Overall, I give this recipe a thumbs up! 

No comments:

Post a Comment