Friday, September 23, 2011

Holy Moly Cannoli Cones

Per Serving (1 cannoli cone): 3 Points+
134 calories, 1.75g fat, 184mg sodium, 21g carbs, 0g fiber, 10.5g sugars, 6g protein 


The recipe: "Hungry Girl 1-2-3", pages 258 - 259
or http://www.hungry-girl.com/newsletters/raw/1225



 
Let me start this post by saying that I have never had a cannoli before, so my review is not going to be based on a comparison of what a true cannoli tastes like.  All I know about cannolis is that they use ricotta cheese in them, which has always sounded kind of weird to me considering it is a dessert.  But, everyone always seems to rave about them, so this recipe intrigued me.  

My favorite part about this recipe was the way that it is eaten.  I love the fact that you get to eat it in a sugar cone, which is not only fun, but tasty as well.  It reminded me of eating an ice cream cone as a kid, before I cared how many calories anything was.  

The cannoli filling was just okay to me.  Again, I have nothing to compare it to, but it just wasn't that exciting to me.  I did like the chocolate chips in it, but felt that there could have been a little more in the recipe.  I think the problem that I had was that I was expecting a very sweet dessert, it being in a sugar cone and everything, but it wasn't as sweet as I had hoped.

The other problem I had was that the filling made enough for 6 of these cones.  Since I was the only one eating them, I wasn't sure what to do with the rest of the filling.  I ended up double-bagging the filling, with plans to eat another one tonight.  I'm not sure how long it will stay good for past that, though.  If you plan on making these, make sure you have a couple people to share them with.  


Overall, a fun idea, but I'm not sure if I will be making these again.  I think they are worth trying, though.  Now I am curious what a true cannoli tastes like!

No comments:

Post a Comment