Thursday, September 15, 2011

Turkey Mushroom Surprise

Per Serving (1 heaping cup): 5 Points+
226 calories, 8.5g fat, 670mg sodium, 10.5g carbs, 1g fiber, 2.5g sugars, 27.5g protein


The recipe: "Hungry Girl 1-2-3", page 181



I love crock pot recipes, but for some reason I don't make them as often as I probably should.  They are so easy and convenient - just throw a bunch of ingredients into the crock pot, turn it on, and several hours later dinner is ready.  

I live very close to my work, so I went home for lunch to put this crock pot recipe together so it would be ready by dinner time.  This was a very simple recipe.  Ground turkey, a ton of mushrooms, an onion, and a jar of gravy was all that had to be put into the crock pot.  It did take me a while to slice all the mushrooms (the recipe called for 5 cups!) and the onion, though.  My sister always says I am a very slow cook.  I have never figured out any sort of technique for dicing and slicing very quickly, like you see the chefs on TV doing.  Thankfully, I enjoy cooking, so I never really feel in a hurry anyway.  

The final step to this recipe is to add a little onion soup mix and cornstarch a few minutes before serving.  This recipe tasted a lot like beef stroganoff, but with turkey instead of beef.  It had a great flavor to it, but the meat came out a little mushy from being cooked in the crock pot (I think).  My husband said the meat was broken up into too small of pieces.  Considering I really didn't stir this that much, I was surprised it came out that way.  It didn't bother me, but my husband kept saying it had a "gritty" texture.  



This dish definitely needs to be served on top of something.  Since it was a lot like beef stroganoff, I made fettucine noodles for my husband to eat with it.  For myself, I steamed some broccoli and cauliflower and poured my serving over that.  If you compare the two pictures, you can see how much more food it was just by adding vegetables.  It made a very flavorful and filling meal.  I'm not sure if I will make this again, though - mainly just because of the texture.  It might possibly be better if cooked over the stove, instead of being cooked for hours in a crock pot.

No comments:

Post a Comment