Thursday, April 14, 2011

A bad week

Since I am just starting this blog, I had really wanted to post something every day so I could get a good collection of recipe reviews going.  That all came to a screeching halt when my grandfather went ill on Sunday. My grandfather has been in an assisted living facility for the past three months because he can no longer get up to walk around on his own.  Apparently, he was sent home last Thursday because he was becoming more and more ill and they could no longer do anything for him.  In other words, he was sent home to die at home.  However, no one told me this!!!

My father lives in a guest house on our property, and my grandparents live on the property behind ours. We even have a walking gate connecting our property to theirs. On Sunday, my husband and I walked over to my grandparents' house to visit on Sunday with the kids.  Since my grandmother has been alone, we have been trying to make more of an effort to visit her on the weekends with the kids.  It always cheers her up to see them, and she especially loves babies.  When we got there, my aunt (who lives with my uncle on another adjacent property) informed me that my grandfather was home and wasn't looking good. 

I went back to his room to visit, and was shocked to find him completely out of it.  I was holding our four-month-old and he opened his eyes when he heard the baby cry out.  They were completely glassy, though, and he could not respond or talk to me.  I cried because I knew then that he was dying.  Then, an hour after we got back home, my husband got a call that his grandfather had just passed away.  Ugh!  What a rough day!

Since Monday evening, my grandfather has been either comatose or sleeping, I really don't know.  Every night we say our goodbyes because we are not sure if he will pass away during the night.  Hospice has been there the past three days to administer morphine and methadone and at least keep him comfortable, but we are pretty much just waiting for him to take his last breath.  He is 90 years old, and has had a good life.  I think death is difficult to deal with no matter what the circumstances, though.

So, needless to say, I haven't done much cooking this week!  I have no idea about my points because my eating is so off right now.  I will be interested to see if I have lost weight this week or not.  Sometimes I am not hungry and don't eat much at all, but when I do eat it has either been fast food or something quick from the fridge.  I have still been going to work except for Tuesday, so at least my eating is managed while I am there (I bring food to work and never eat out for lunch).

I hope I didn't depress whoever might be reading this too much!  It has just been very emotionally draining this week and I had to get it out somehow.

No comments:

Post a Comment