Friday, April 22, 2011

Super-simple Tropical Sorbet

Per Serving (entire recipe): 2 points+ - 76 calories, <0.5g fat, 0mg sodium, 16g carbs, 2.5g fiber, 14g sugars, 2g protein.

The recipe: "Hungry Girl - Recipes and Strategies...", page 204


This recipe was very easy to make.  My toddler and I shared a bowl, since the portion size was pretty big.  All you have to do is combine a cup of canned light peaches, 1 small packet (2 servings) orange Crystal Light, and 1/2 cup of water in the blender, and voila!  You have sorbet!  The only downfall is that you have to wait for it to freeze for several hours, so you can't eat it right away - something that is difficult for a toddler to deal with! 

We put the sorbet in the freezer, and once it was slushy enough, we dug in.  My son said it was good, but I thought it was a little too sweet (probably why he thought it was so good!).  It tasted mostly like peaches and orange flavoring mixed together - not exactly "tropical" in my opinion.  It was, however, a low points dessert, which I can definitely appreciate.  I made two batches since it was so easy to make.

The only thing that you have to watch out for is that it hardens to an ice-cube-like hardness if you let it freeze overnight.  I checked on it in the morning, and found this out first-hand.  I imagine when I go to eat the second batch that I had made, it will take a while to soften up before I can eat it.  I will also probably need help from my son to finish it again, since it was so sweet.  But, not a bad dessert for the points.

No comments:

Post a Comment