Sunday, April 10, 2011

Sloppy Franks

Per 1/2 cup serving with a bun: 5 points+ 
170 calories, 2g fat, 1,097mg sodium, 31.5g carbs, 3.5g fiber, 8g sugars, 10g protein

The recipe: "Hungry Girl 1-2-3", page 256


I decided to make this recipe because I figured this was for sure something my 2-year-old son would like.  Hungry Girl even says in the description, "This one's a hit with men and kids".  Unfortunately, not with my family.  This is a very easy recipe, though - it is just 1/2 cup onions, 1/2 cup red bell pepper, and 6 fat free hot dogs sauteed together.  Add a 15.5 ounce can of Manwich Sauce, heat, and, voila! You have a meal!  

What I didn't realize is that I don't like Manwich Sauce, and either does my husband or my son.  I grew up with my parents making the kind of sloppy joes that came from a seasoning packet by Lawry's, I think.  Just add tomato paste, water, and ground beef and you have sloppy joes.  Now those were good!  Manwich - not so good.  It is very tangy and overpowers any other flavors you add to it.  You can barely taste the hot dogs, onions, or bell peppers - all you can taste is the tangy Manwich Sauce.  I will definitely not be making this recipe again.

The worst part is that when I bought the Manwich Sauce, it was on sale for $1/can.  I bought three cans when I saw how low of points it was, and am now stuck with two cans of something I don't like.  Oh, well.  I'll figure out something to do with them.  I will also end up eating the leftovers, since I know my husband or son won't, and I hate wasting food.  There were six servings total, and we ate four tonight.  Only two more left!  I'll probably eat both for a 10 point lunch tomorrow.   

So, if you like Manwich Sauce for your sloppy joe's, then you will like this recipe.  Otherwise, skip it.

No comments:

Post a Comment