Thursday, April 28, 2011

Crispity Crunchity Drumsticks

Per Serving (1/3 of recipe, 2 drumsticks): 5 points+ - 184 calories, 5g fat, 567mg sodium, 10.5g carbs, 5g fiber, <0.5g sugars, 28g protein.

The recipe: "Hungry Girl 300 Under 300", page 354
or http://www.hungry-girl.com/newsletters/raw/1540



I had some chicken drumsticks that have been sitting in our freezer for a while that I haven't cooked because I thought they were too many points.  I came across this recipe and figured it was time to finally dethaw them.  I never thought to remove the skin to make them less points.  Duh!  That way you can still have seasoning or breading on the chicken, but don't have the extra fattening skin to eat or take off along with all the flavor. 

This recipe was really quick and easy.  I already had a bunch of Fiber One ground up into crumbs, so I eliminated that step (just use half as much crumbs than the amount of cereal the recipe calls for).  It was very similar to Shake N' Bake, in that you place the chicken in a ziploc bag with the breading and shake to coat.  There was plenty of breading, so it wasn't hard to coat all the pieces of chicken.  They came out nice and evenly coated, and cooked perfectly, too. 

The chicken turned out nice and crispy, and I actually felt as though I were eating fried chicken (not as greasy, but the flavor was there).  It was nice to eat drumsticks instead of chicken breast for a change.  The breading was a little bit too peppery for my taste, though, so next time I think I would cut the amount of pepper in half.  It did give it a nice spicy flavor, but I'm just not that fond of pepper as a main spice.  My husband asked me if it was coated with Fiber One, and when I said yes, he said he was getting tired of Fiber One.  I will be taking a break from Fiber One coated things for a little while so I don't completely turn him against it.  He said it wasn't that it tastes bad, the texture is just a little different.

*A note about the points.  On her website, HG states that this recipe is 4 points+, but in the book it is 5 points+.  The only difference in the stats is that there are 4.5g fat online, while in the book there are 5g fat.  I'm not sure which is correct, but I tend to use the higher points if I am ever unsure of the points of something.

No comments:

Post a Comment