Thursday, April 21, 2011

Planet Hungrywood Sweet & Cap'n Crunchy Chicken

Per serving (1/2 of recipe): 5 points+ - 234 calories, 2g fat, 617mg sodium, 23.5g carbs, 4g fiber, 10g sugars, 29g protein

The recipe: "Hungry Girl 1-2-3", page 54
or http://www.hungry-girl.com/newsletters/raw/1214


Wow, so this is now my favorite Hungry Girl recipe so far.  I immediately had requests by my husband to make this again, and I had to agree that it was a delicious meal.  My mother-in-law, who was over for dinner, also said it was good (she generally doesn't seem to like my cooking, so it was definitely a complement that she liked it).  I would never have thought to make chicken breaded with Captain Crunch cereal of all things.  It ended up being so good!  It had the perfect amount of sweetness, but with the added Fiber One cereal, garlic powder, and onion powder it still kept it savory. 

Like the chicken parmesan I made, I had to make sure the heat was not too hot so the cereal didn't burn.  I ended up cooking it for a little longer than the recipe called for to make sure the chicken was all the way cooked.  It came out great - the chicken was nice and juicy, and the breading was perfectly crispy. 

This recipe was a little bit labor-intensive, especially if you don't have the Fiber One cereal pre-crushed, like I did.  It takes time to make the breading, and then dip each piece in egg substitute, then the breading, then cook it.  I have a container that I keep in the pantry with pre-crushed Fiber One.  If you go that route, all you have to do is use half the amount of Fiber One crumbs than cereal that is called for in the recipe.  It definitely saves time, so I suggest making the crumbs ahead of time if you make a lot of Hungry Girl recipes.

Overall, I think you should make this recipe.  Your family will love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment