Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Chicken Enchilada Casserole

Per Serving (¼ of casserole): 6 Points+
260 calories, 4g fat, 1,166mg sodium, 27g carbs, 4g fiber, 3g sugars, 27.5g protein


The recipe: "Hungry Girl 1-2-3", pages 66 - 67


I usually make at least one Mexican dish every week, so I am always looking for something different from the usual taco or burrito.  This recipe sounded easy and delicious - and it was!  It had a nice blend of chicken, cheese, veggies, salsa, corn tortillas, and the surprising ingredient - cream of celery soup.  I did not think cream of celery soup would work in a Mexican dish at all, but I was proven wrong with this recipe.  Usually I think of cream of anything as an ingredient for a comfort food dish.  It worked really well in this enchilada dish, however. 

The best part of this recipe was the portion size.  You get 1/4 of the casserole!  Nice!  I made mine in an 8x8 pan, and was very happy with the large dinner I got to eat for only 6 points+.  I added a salad for a complete meal.


What made this even better was that I was able to put the casserole together quickly and throw it in the oven to bake, making my two-year-old happy that I didn't have to spend much time in the kitchen.  It is made with canned chicken, which is what makes it so quick to put together.  I'm sure you could always use fresh shredded chicken if you wanted to, but it tastes great with the canned chicken, so I was perfectly happy to use that.  Everyone in the family liked this dish - I only wish I had doubled the recipe so we would have had leftovers for lunch the next day.  Next time I will definitely make more.  Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment