Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Super-sized Berry-nana Oatmeal Parfait

Per Serving (entire recipe): 7 Points+
285 calories, 4.5g fat, 359mg sodium, 54g carbs, 6.5g fiber, 21.5g sugars, 9g protein

The recipe: "300 under 300", pages 48 - 49
or http://www.hungry-girl.com/newsletters/raw/1606


Mmmm!  Another sweet oatmeal breakfast/dessert recipe!  The flavor of the oatmeal when cooked with Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Breeze is very tasty and goes well with the various Hungry Girl "growing oatmeal" recipes.  This one has layers of oatmeal, vanilla yogurt, strawberries, and bananas.  Yum! 

I learned from my previous experience with the Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal Parfait to make the oatmeal the night before so it can chill in the refrigerator overnight.  I then made the parfait for breakfast the next morning.  The recipe calls for nonfat vanilla yogurt, but I really like how thick and filling greek yogurt is.  I had some plain nonfat greek yogurt in the fridge that I added a touch of vanilla and a packet of Splenda to as a substitute for the nonfat vanilla yogurt.  It tasted great, and was probably even less calories than nonfat vanilla yogurt would have been. 

This parfait had a fresh and healthy feel to it because of the strawberries and bananas, but it still managed to satisfy my sweet cravings that I always have, so I was happy about that.  It was also very satisfying - there was actually more oatmeal than is shown in the picture.  I ran out of room in my glass to put all the oatmeal!  As you can see, I had to pile on the strawberries and bananas on top, since there was hardly any room left for them.

Although this parfait was pretty filling, it was more points than I usually like to have for breakfast.  I just ended up having fruit for my morning snack instead of the crackers I usually eat, so it didn't mess up my daily points routine too bad.  Overall, a tasty breakfast that is quick and easy to make as long as you prepare the oatmeal the night before. 

1 comment:

  1. lol - same thing happened to me or maybe I just needed a bigger parfait glass lol. The only thing I didn't like was the 54 carbs so I agree that greek yogurt would be much better for ya than the nonfat (sugary) vanilla yogurt. Very good

    ReplyDelete