Friday, July 8, 2011

Takes-The-Cake Ziti Bake

Per Serving (1/4th of ziti bake): 7 Points+
286 calories, 7g fat, 455mg sodium, 41g carbs, 5g fiber, 7g sugars, 16.5g protein


The recipe: "300 under 300", pages 230 - 231
or http://www.hungry-girl.com/newsletters/raw/1615


Since Italian food is a favorite of my family, I am always looking for healthier versions of the dishes I used to make pre-healthy eating.  Baked ziti is one of my husband's favorite meals.  The entree he gets from the little Italian restaurant down the street is LOADED with fatty sausage, tons of cheese, and oily sauce.  I figured I should attempt a lower calorie substitution to see if he would like it.


This dish ended up passing the test for everyone in my family, even my two-year-old.  Neither of them even noticed that I used high fiber pasta, and they both asked for seconds.  Definitely a winner!  Good flavors, and nice and cheesy.  I really liked that there were plenty of veggies in the dish - it had spinach, mushrooms, and tomatoes.  The best part was the veggies were kind of hidden amongst the cheese and pasta, so I didn't have any complaints about there being too many veggies, or it not having any meat.  Actually, I don't think it even registered with my husband that this was technically a vegetarian dish.

The only thing I would recommend would be to double the recipe if you are making it for more than just yourself.  The recipe makes four servings, but if you have a husband like mine who usually eats two or more servings on his own, you will definitely not have any leftovers.  I prefer to have a little extra left for lunch the next day or even another dinner, so I will be doubling the recipe next time.  And yes, there probably will be a next time, since it was such a hit with the family.

No comments:

Post a Comment