Thursday, July 28, 2011

Slurpable Split Shake

Per Serving (entire shake): 6 Points+
220 calories, 2g fat, 100mg sodium, 47g carbs, 4g fiber, 22g sugars, 5.5g protein


The recipe: "Hungry Girl 1-2-3", pages 206 - 207
or http://www.hungry-girl.com/newsletters/raw/1320


In honor of summer, I figured a yummy milkshake was in order.  The fact that this one is supposed to taste like a banana split made it even more tempting for me to make. 

As milkshakes go, this one had a pretty good calorie count at only 220 calories.  However, at 6 Points+, this is definitely not something I will be making on a regular basis.  It did taste pretty good, though, and I almost felt as though I was cheating by drinking a milkshake.  The milkshake was actually a little larger than the one in the picture - I shared mine with my two-year-old, so it actually filled up another half a glass or so.

Instead of soy milk, I made mine with Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Breeze, so I may have saved a few more calories that way.  The milkshake had just the right amount of banana in it, and I loved the occasional chunk of strawberry that would make its way through the straw.  The Reddi-wip and chocolate sauce on top made it truly taste like a banana split.  The way that Hungry Girl keeps this low in calories is by only using 1/4 cup of fat free vanilla ice cream in it.  Ice is added to the blender to still get the feel of ice cream without all the calories.

My two-year-old isn't very fond of Almond Breeze, so he actually didn't like this.  He took one sip and handed it back for me to drink, saying, "Mommy, I don't like this".  All the more for me, hee, hee!  If you are not fond of soy milk or Almond Breeze, you could probably use nonfat milk and just add the extra calories to the total.  It would still be better than a milk shake from a restaraunt or ice cream parlor.  According to HG, the milkshake she was copying for this recipe normally has 750 calories and 21 Points+!  Yikes!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment