Thursday, July 7, 2011

Mmmmm Moo Shu Chicken

Per Serving (about 2/3 cup): 2 Points+ (excluding tortilla)
76 calories, 0.5g fat, 522mg sodium, 9.5g carbs, 3g fiber, 4g sugars, 8g protein

The recipe: "Hungry Girl 1-2-3", pages 272 - 273
or http://www.hungry-girl.com/newsletters/raw/1177


Every once in a while, I find myself getting very strong cravings for Chinese food.  This past week I have really been craving moo shu chicken, so I figured I should make this Hungry Girl version of it.  Although it did a pretty good job of satisfying my cravings, I was still left wanting the moo shu chicken from my favorite Chinese restaurant in Los Angeles.  The recipe itself was a pretty good replica of moo shu chicken - I think it was the tortilla that didn't quite do it for me.  Normally, moo shu chicken is eaten on a very thin flour pancake, so a high fiber tortilla just wasn't quite the same for me.

I was kind of on the fence about this recipe.  It could have used a little more flavor, but the hoisin sauce did help make up for that.  When you are buying the hoisin sauce, make sure you pay attention to the nutritional information.  There were two different brands at the grocery store I was at - one had 22g carbs, while the other (the one I bought) had only 9g carbs.  That is a difference of a whole point or so per serving if you are doing Weight Watchers!  I'm not sure about the calorie difference, but the lower carb one had only 50 calories per serving.  My point is, there is a wide range of hoisin sauces out there, so make sure you get the brand that has the better nutritional information.

My main complaint about this recipe is the small amount of chicken in it.  It only calls for 6 ounces of chicken - not very much considering it also calls for a large 12 ounce bag of broccoli slaw.  The chicken pretty much disappears into the meal, so it could definitely use a little more.  Considering each serving is only two points+, I'm not sure why there isn't more chicken in it.  Even if having more chicken ends up adding a point per serving, it would still only be three points+ instead of two - still a good points bargain.

I'm not sure if I would make this recipe again.  It just wasn't very exciting, and didn't do a very good job of satisfying my Chinese food cravings.  If you are looking for a low points meal, it is an okay option, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment