Wednesday, July 13, 2011

PB & J Oatmeal Heaven

Per Serving (entire recipe): 7 Points+
285 calories, 10.25g fat, 417mg sodium, 42g carbs, 6.75g fiber, 5g sugars, 9g protein


The recipe: "300 under 300", page 52



Well, this was the first "growing oatmeal" bowl that I was truly disappointed with.  I was hoping that this one would be a better peanut butter option than the PB & Chocolate Oatmeal Blitz I recently reviewed (which was good, just not very peanut buttery).  It even smelled delicious while I was cooking the oatmeal, and reminded me of a peanut butter & jelly sandwich.  I had high hopes for this recipe, but was left disappointed when I went to eat it.

It was again not very peanut buttery, and tasted mostly like strawberry-flavored oatmeal.  As a matter of fact, the only peanut butter in the recipe was two teaspoons that were mixed with Almond Breeze and drizzled on top of the oatmeal.  As a result, only some bites had any peanut butter taste at all, while the majority tasted like strawberries.  Even the strawberry taste seemed a little diluted for some reason - even though the strawberries I used were nice and sweet.

So, I am left still looking for a yummy peanut buttery Hungry Girl dish that is low in fat and calories.   I will keep trying, because I am sure it is out there somewhere!

Oh well.  Fortunately, there are plenty of other oatmeal recipes of hers that I did enjoy, so I will just be sticking to those instead.

1 comment:

  1. I really like hungry girl also. I have tried making her "growing oatmeal" bowl twice now and each time it turns out more like oatmeal soup. Your picture is the first I have found from a "real person" that looks like mine. Are my expectations too high for the thickening of this dish? I have been disgusted by my end product each time. I'd love your honest input.

    ReplyDelete