Monday, July 25, 2011

So-Good Sausage Gravy 'n Bisquits

Per Serving (entire recipe): 6 Points+
235 calories, 5.5g fat, 752mg sodium, 34g carbs, 9g fiber, 1g sugars, 17g protein

The recipe: http://www.hungry-girl.com/newsletters/raw/1022


I stumbled upon the link for this recipe in a fairly recent Hungry Girl email about southern-style dishes.  I've always been a fan of biscuits and gravy for breakfast, and it is something I order occasionally when we go out to breakfast (which is pretty rare in itself!).  I happened to have all of the ingredients at home already, so it was very easy for me to whip this up Saturday morning for my husband and I.

This recipe was very easy to make, and consists of a pretty standard white sauce made with seasonings, flour, and milk (for which Almond Breeze was substituted for, of course).  All you do is add a heated and chopped up veggie sausage patty to the gravy, and pour the gravy on a toasted light english muffin.  Super easy, and one of those recipes where I was thinking, "why didn't I think of that?!". 

I did add more than just a dash of salt and pepper to add more flavor, but other than that, this was pretty good as is.  There was definitely plenty of gravy to cover the english muffin nicely.  And although I am used to eating biscuits and gravy, an english muffin was a better-tasting substitution than I was expecting.  If you are looking for a hearty breakfast that doesn't taste at all like "diet food", then this is a great choice.  It's super quick and easy to make, and one that I will keep in my regular breakfast rotation.

3 comments:

  1. Happy to have stumbled on your bog! I have some weight to lose too and have HG's 300 under 300 cookbook and have been making some recipes. Your reviews will help! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forget sometimes that the veggie sausage patties are pretty good - I like to cut them up and make an omelet with fresh mushrooms!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! Being a Georgia girl, I am very well acquainted with this particular dish but can't remember the last time I had thickened gravy. I did eat a biscuit not long ago with my chicken livers but I skipped the gravy that my daughter made. I'm thinking I will try this next weekend. Thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete