Thursday, November 3, 2011

Dan Good Chili

Per Serving (1 cup): 3 Points+
120 calories, 1g fat, 820mg sodium, 26g carbs, 6g fiber, 10g sugars, 6g protein


The recipe: "Hungry Girl: Recipes and Survival Strategies", pages 122 - 123
or http://www.hungry-girl.com/chew/show/2135


I have been eyeballing this recipe for quite some time now, but, previously, it was too hot to think about making a large pot of chili.  It has just begun to cool down in California (all the way down to the low 70's!), so that has put me in the mood for making chili, soup, etc.  On Tuesday, the Hungry Girl email featured this same recipe I have been curious about for a while, so I figured that was my cue to finally make it.

One thing I will say about this recipe is that it takes a long time to make.  And I'm not just talking about the fact that it has to cook for 2 hours once you get all of the ingredients into the pot.  It also takes a ton of prep time to chop all of the vegetables, saute them, and finally add everything to the pot.  With all of the distractions my two little ones cause, it took me almost an hour just to get to the point where everything was in the pot.  Then, I had to wait two more hours for the chili to cook.  Jeez!

For a vegetarian chili, I thought this turned out pretty good.  I usually prefer turkey chili, but the fact that this was only 120 calories for a whole cup definitely made up for the lack of meat in it.  The chili had a nice amount of spice to it, but it was not overly spicy.  I was a little worried it would be too spicy, since my early tastes of the chili burned my tongue from the spiciness.  After it had cooked for two hours, though, the spice from the jalapenos mellowed out and it was really good. 

I ate my cup of chili over half of a baked potato.  I also added a serving of light sour cream to the top.  Yum!  It was a huge amount of food for under 350 calories.  I was definitely satisfied from this dinner, and am looking forward to the leftovers.  For all the effort it takes to make this, at least you get 10 servings - plenty of food to make it worthwhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment