Monday, November 21, 2011

Overstuffed Peanut Butter 'n Banana French Toast

Per Serving (entire recipe): 9 Points+
327 calories, 8.5g fat, 700mg sodium, 48.5g carbs, 7.25g fiber, 11g sugars, 18g protein


The recipe: "Hungry Girl 1-2-3", pages 288 - 289
or http://www.hungry-girl.com/newsletters/raw/1472


I love peanut butter.  And I love bananas.  Bananas with peanut butter are even better.  I used to always eat my bananas along with an open jar of peanut butter, spreading the peanut butter on the banana before each bite.  Yum! I now mostly avoid peanut butter due to it's high calorie and fat content, but an occasional recipe with peanut butter will generally satisfy my cravings.  This recipe had both bananas and peanut butter - a definite plus!

I had high hopes for this recipe, but it turned out to be LOADED with cinnamon.  A half teaspoon of cinnamon is quite a large amount, especially considering the smallish size of this sandwich.  As I was making it, I was even thinking that there was too much cinnamon being added to the peanut butter mixture, as well as in the egg mixture the sandwich was dipped in.  When I tasted the sandwich, all I could taste was the overpowering taste of cinnamon. 

It was still edible enough to eat the whole thing, though, since the syrup masked the cinnamon taste a little.  I think this recipe could be really good if the amount of cinnamon was cut in half.  Next time, I will use only an 1/8 teaspoon in both the peanut butter mixture and the egg mixture.  If that is done, then there might not even be much of a need for the syrup.  Just sprinkling the sandwich with a little powdered sugar instead of using 1/4 cup of syrup would save you about 30 calories.  Not much, but a calorie is a calorie, right? 

Speaking of calories, the other complaint I have about this recipe is the high amount of calories, especially for a fairly small breakfast.  It is still much better than the full fat version (at 740 calories!), but 327 calories is about twice what I usually like to eat for breakfast.  So, if you can spare the calories, and you like peanut butter and bananas, you should try this recipe.  Just cut the amount of cinnamon in half.

No comments:

Post a Comment