Friday, November 11, 2011

Yummy Butternut Home Fries

Per Serving (¼th of recipe - a heaping 1/2 cup): 2 Points+
58 calories, 2g fat, 63mg sodium, 11g carbs, 2g fiber, 3g sugars, 1g protein


The recipe: "Hungry Girl: Recipes and Survival Strategies...:, pages 280 - 281


This recipe has a very interesting combination of flavors and spices.  The fact that it has onions, pumpkin pie spice, and cayenne pepper all together seemed a little odd to me.  I wasn't sure how it was going to turn out, but I had a butternut squash that had to be used up, so I decided to try this recipe.

I thought the dish turned out edible, but I don't think it is going to be something I make again.  I am still getting used to using butternut squash, and it is still growing on me.  It kind of reminds me of a cross between pumpkin and sweet potatoes, neither one of which is a favorite of mine.

This recipe reminded me a little bit of a curry - it had a hint of sweetness with the squash and pumpkin pie spice, and a hint of spiciness from the cayenne pepper.  It is supposed to be a breakfast dish, but to me, it failed to resemble home fries enough to be considered for breakfast.  It also didn't quite seem like a side dish for dinner.  I'm just not quite sure what to do with it! 

If you are a fan of butternut squash, go ahead and give this recipe a try.  Otherwise, you might want to skip it unless you are adventurous.

3 comments:

  1. I was watching her show the other day and seen her making a upside down pineapple cake. Have you tried it yet? Please let me know if you do . Im dying to know if its a give it a try recipe.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds good! I will make sure to make it sometime this week and let you know how it is. :)

    ReplyDelete