Friday, November 4, 2011

Sloppy Janes

Per Serving (1 sandwich with about 3/4 cup sauce): 7 Points+
271 calories, 3g fat, 835mg sodium, 32g carbs, 3g fiber, 8g sugars, 31g protein


The recipe: "Hungry Girl: Recipes and Survival Strategies...", pages 130 - 131
or http://www.hungry-girl.com/newsletters/raw/1106


This is a recipe that I used to make all the time pre-blog, so I thought it was probably overdue for me to officially review it.  I had all sorts of notes in my cookbook from the previous times I've made it - the first being that it was better without the Splenda.  I, personally, don't like my sloppy joes sweet, so I simply eliminated the Splenda - an option that she even mentions in the recipe. 

The other note was that it is much better with lean ground turkey instead of extra lean.  If you can afford the extra calories, I would suggest making it with the lean turkey.  No one from my family was fond of this recipe with the extra-lean turkey, whereas they gobbled it up using the lean.  It was just too dry with the extra-lean, which is the reason I usually try to save enough calories in the day to swap out lean for extra-lean in any given ground turkey recipe.

With those two changes, these sloppy "janes" are delicious.  They taste just like the traditional sloppy joes I grew up with (the ones from the sloppy joe seasoning packets), but with less calories.  Instead of just being made with the ground turkey, this recipe adds in red bell pepper and onions to bulk it up a little without adding extra calories.  As a result, you get a nice portion size for a reasonable amount of calories. 

The recipe doesn't state how large the serving size is, but if you divide it out, it comes out to be about 3/4 cup of sloppy joes for each sandwich.  I ate mine on a sandwich thin, and added a piece of fat-free american cheese.  It probably would have been just as good without the cheese, but for some reason I felt like adding it.  It is only an extra 30 calories for a slice of cheese, so if you want to add cheese and you have enough calories left, go for it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment