Thursday, November 10, 2011

Wowowow! Kung Pao

Per Serving (1/2 of recipe, about 1 1/2 cups): 6 Points+
245 calories, 4g fat, 720mg sodium, 21g carbs, 3g fiber, 11g sugars, 30g protein 


The recipe: "300 under 300", page 224 - 225
or http://www.hungry-girl.com/newsletters/raw/1335



I love Chinese food, and one of my favorite go-to low-calorie dinners is a chicken stir-fry full of veggies.  I generally just use soy sauce and a little bit of bottled stir-fry sauce for flavor, but it does get tiring eating the same dish all the time.  Since I also love Kung Pao chicken, this recipe called out to me.


I was happy with the fact that there were still quite a bit of veggies in this meal.  It also had a nice amount of chicken, making it pretty filling.  In a recent Hungry Girl email, I learned that by adding the sauce at the end of the cooking process, it prevents the sauce from reducing too much.  As a result, your sauce goes farther, saving you calories while adding flavor.  Good to know!


I loved the flavor of this sauce.  It had a nice kick to it, but wasn't overly spicy.  The dish came out nice and saucy, and actually reminded me of a restaurant-style kung pao chicken.  Yeah!  I made some rice to serve it over, and was nice and full after eating it.  This dish did a nice job of satisfying my cravings for a fatty, restaurant-style serving of kung pao chicken.  If you like kung pao chicken, you should definitely give this a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment