Thursday, November 17, 2011

Upside-Down Pineapple-Applesauce Cake

Per Serving (1 slice, 1/8th of cake): 5 Points+
189 calories, 3.5g fat, 298mg sodium, 39g carbs, 0.5g fiber, 26.5g sugars, 1.5g protein

The recipe: http://www.hungry-girl.com/show/just-desserts-upside-down-pineapple-applesauce-cake-recipe


I would like to thank Weight Watcher Wannabe for asking me to make this recipe.  I probably would have overlooked it, especially since it was from one of the Hungry Girl show episodes (all of which have been recorded, but I have yet to find time to watch them!).

I have never made a pineapple-upside down cake before, so I was hoping that this would turn out okay.  I know there is flipping involved, which for me could potentially spell disaster.  As it was, I did have one pineapple ring stick to the pan when I flipped it.  After some stealthy repair, it still came out looking pretty good.

This cake turned out delicious!  It is definitely something I would consider making for a group of people.  I really liked the fact that it used real brown sugar, and didn't call for any artificial sweeteners.  The glaze on the top of the cake was very sweet and rich, and the cake was moist and delicious.  There was no hint of this cake being low-fat.  You would never even guess that any substitutions had been made.   

That being said, I do feel as though 5 Points+ and 189 calories is a little high for a dessert.  I normally like to keep my dessert calories to about 100.  For a cake recipe, though, the stats are pretty decent.  I will probably wait to make this again until I have more people to share it with.  It is so good that it is hard to stop at just one piece!

3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you posted this! I was looking for ideas of things to make for Christmas and I think this is perfect! Great job! It looks delish :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you!!!!!!!! It looks so freaking perfect.. Im so happy you made it and gave me the 411. Im going to make it today darn it... I only have Pineapple chunks but I think it will be great. I usually make the real upside down cake with real butter and freaking loads of sugar.... ARGGGG .... You Rock!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No problem! Hope you enjoy it when you make it!

    ReplyDelete