Monday, November 7, 2011

Super-Duper Veggie Scramble

Per Serving (entire recipe): 4 Points+
183 calories, 3g fat, 614mg sodium, 17g carbs, 5g fiber, 5g sugars, 22g protein


The recipe: "Hungry Girl: Recipes and Survival Strategies...", page 15
or http://www.hungry-girl.com/newsletters/raw/289 (see "Head's Up" at the bottom)


This is a breakfast recipe that I make all the time on weekends.  It is filling, low in calories, and very good.  I almost never make it the same way each time, though.  I always have the veggie burger patty and the 1/2 cup Egg Beaters, but I change up the veggies depending on what I have at home.  Sometimes I add broccoli, bell peppers, or even asparagus in addition to the veggies in the recipe.  I also usually add Frank's Red Hot, or sometimes Tapatio, depending on my mood.  Without some extra seasoning or hot sauce, this dish can be a tad bit on the bland side.

If you make the recipe exactly as it is in the book, it is a nice serving size.  Adding more veggies bulks it up even more, but without adding hardly any calories.  I think it is a great idea to use the veggie patty as the "meat" in the scramble.  I never would have thought to use that combination on my own.  Usually, for breakfast I always think bacon or sausage.  The veggie burger patty works great with the veggies and eggs, though, and makes it filling without adding as many calories as regular bacon or sausage would. 

The next time you are in the mood for an omelet or egg scramble, try it with a cut-up veggie burger patty.  You will be pleasantly surprised by how much more filling it makes it, as well as how good it is.  Yum!

Head's Up!  The weblink to the recipe is HG old school from 2005!  All she says to do is add a crumbled veggie burger to 1/2 cup Egg Beaters.  The recipe from the book has been updated to add tomatoes, mushrooms, and onions.

No comments:

Post a Comment