Monday, October 10, 2011

Asian BBQ Shrimp Salad

Per Serving (entire recipe): 6 Points+
262 calories, 3.75g fat, 643mg sodium, 28.5g carbs, 6.75g fiber, 17g sugars, 28g protein


The recipe: "300 under 300", pages 132 - 133


I have been eating a lot of salads recently - usually just simple ones with lettuce, tomato, cucumber, and maybe some chicken breast.  I thought it would be nice to make something a little different from my ordinary salad, and since I love Asian food, this one sounded good to me. 

I actually tripled the shrimp and sauce part of this recipe - one serving for me and two for my husband (he gets more calories than me each day).  I loved the fact that there were sugar snap peas along with the shrimp.  I bought a large bag of them from Costco, and had forgotten how much I love snacking on them. 

The sauce was delicious, and the best part about it was there was plenty of it.  I can't stand it when there is barely enough sauce to coat what you are cooking.  In this case, there was actually sauce to spare.  It gave the salad enough flavor so that you didn't have to add any extra salad dressing if you didn't want the calories.  I tried it both ways - with and without sesame-ginger dressing - to see which was better.  I have to say that using a little bit of salad dressing, as the book suggests, does add some extra flavor to the salad.  I preferred it with the dressing, but it was definitely still good without. 

For under 300 calories, this salad is a good one.  It is filling, flavorful, and delicious.  If you are looking for something other than your ordinary garden salad, give this one a try.

1 comment: