Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Sweet and Savory Breakfast Bread Pudding Bowl

Per Serving (entire recipe): 6 Points+
263 calories, 4.75g fat, 760mg sodium, 33.5g carbs, 6g fiber, 4.5g sugars, 23g protein


The recipe: "300 under 300", pages 40 - 41


Normally, I am not much of a fan of bread pudding.  I have tried Hungry Girl's Scoopable Smore's Bread Pudding, which was okay, but still turned out a little dry on top - the reason I don't usually like bread pudding.  This recipe, however, was actually really good.

The best part about this recipe was that it was cooked in the microwave in practically no time at all.  I was a little skeptical that it would turn out okay, since microwave cooking is not usually my thing.  But, I was pleasantly surprised with how it turned out.  The whole thing was nice and moist.  I did make sure that all the bread pieces were well covered with the egg mixture, to ensure the maximum amount of moisture in the bread.  Once done cooking, I removed it from the microwave-safe bowl, plated it, and covered it with sugar-free syrup and powdered sugar.  Yum!

I loved the combination of the sweetness of the syrup with the savoriness of the breakfast sausage.  It is amazing how far one little sausage patty goes when you crumble it into small pieces.  Every bite had the flavor of the sausage and syrup mixed together.  And my biggest complaint about bread pudding - the dryness factor - was not a problem at all.  Any dryness that may have been there after cooking was remedied with the syrup that was poured over the top. 

My only complaint is the amount of calories.  For breakfast, 263 calories is a little high for me.  I usually like to have a banana and a cup of coffee with creamer with my breakfast.  If I had done that with this dish, my breakfast would have been about 400 calories, or a third of my calories for the day!  That doesn't leave much room for any snacks.  This will probably not be something I make on a regular basis just because of the calories, but it is still one of my favorite breakfasts I have made so far.  If you have the "300 under 300" cookbook, you should definitely try this.

No comments:

Post a Comment