Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Ring-My-Bella Mushroom Sandwich

Per Serving (entire recipe): 7 Points+
263 calories, 10.25g fat, 786mg sodium, 32.5g carbs, 7.5g fiber, 7g sugars, 15.5g protein


The recipe: "300 under 300", pages 286 - 287
or http://www.hungry-girl.com/newsletters/raw/1343


My husband loves mushrooms, so I am always looking for recipes with mushrooms that I will enjoy, also.  I'm not a huge fan of mushrooms, but I do love portabella mushrooms.  I just wish they were a little bit cheaper at the grocery store.  For two portabella mushroom caps, it is $3.99 at my local grocery stores.  Occasionally, I can find them on sale for $1.50 each, but usually $2 a mushroom is standard.  It is worth it every once in a while, though. 

Although a fairly simple recipe, this one called out to me because it reminded me of the portabella mushroom sandwich I used to order at the Rainforest Cafe (they don't make it anymore, though) or the Cheesecake Factory when I was a vegetarian.  Those I'm sure were WAY more calories than the HG version. 

I made two sandwiches for dinner - one for my husband and one for me.  To cook the mushrooms and onions, I used my George Foreman grill to save time.  It cooks both sides at once, so dinner is done in half the time.  I even toasted the sandwich thin on the George Foreman - I just left it open so it would toast the buttered side only. 
See all the mayo oozing out from the bun?  Mmmm!
The sandwich turned out great.  Both my husband and I loved it.  It really reminded me a lot of the restaurant sandwiches I used to order.  Cheesy, tons of mayo (a whole tablespoon!), and a great flavor. I loved that the toasted bun was sprinkled with a dash of garlic powder.  So good!  For dinner, it wasn't exactly the most filling meal, but this would be great as a sandwich for lunch along with a piece of fruit.  If the mushrooms were a little cheaper, I think this could be a sandwich I could eat on a regular basis.  Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment