Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Cinn-a-nilla Apple Oatmeal Parfait

Per Serving (entire recipe): 6 Points+
240 calories, 4.5g fat, 355mg sodium, 42.5g carbs, 5.75g fiber, 18g sugars, 8g protein

The recipe: "300 under 300", pages 44 - 45
or http://www.hungry-girl.com/newsletters/raw/1606






I haven't made an HG parfait in quite some time, so this past weekend I thought it was about time for another one.  The only thing that is slightly annoying about making these parfaits is that you have to make the oatmeal ahead of time and then refrigerate it until it is cold.  Your best bet if you want one for breakfast is to make it the night before and cool it in the refrigerator overnight.  When you are ready for breakfast in the morning, the oatmeal will already be cold and ready to go.

Since my sister was visiting this past weekend, I made one of these to share with her for breakfast.  I didn't really want a full 240 calories for breakfast, so it worked out perfect.  Both of us thought this parfait was pretty good.  It had the right amount of cinnamon in it without overpowering everything.  My sister has never eaten an HG parfait before, and she said she liked the flavor of the oatmeal.  She also said that it was definitely something different for breakfast (in a good way). 

This parfait had slightly less oatmeal than the other parfaits I've made.  Usually, there is too much to fit in the glass I use for parfaits.  This recipe called for only 1/3 cup of oatmeal instead of 1/2 cup.  It made the perfect amount of oatmeal, apples, and yogurt to fit nicely in my glass without having excess left over.

Although the parfait was good, I think some of the other parfaits I've made were better.  Not necessarily because they are better - my taste preference just leans more towards the berry parfaits, such as the Super-sized Berry-nana Oatmeal Parfait.  But, if you like apples and cinnamon with your oatmeal, this might be the recipe for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment