Monday, October 3, 2011

Steamy Creamy Squash Packet

Per Serving (1/2 of recipe, about 1 cup): 2 Points+
80 calories, 2.75g fat, 232mg sodium, 11g carbs, 3g fiber, 5g sugars, 3.5g protein

The recipe: "300 under 300", pages 162 - 163
or http://www.hungry-girl.com/newsletters/raw/1531


I've been eating a lot of salads recently, so I thought it would be nice to make an actual vegetable side dish that was something different from the norm.  I love squash, and anything creamy always sounds good to me.  Unfortunately, this was not creamy enough for me.  The recipe only calls for one wedge of Laughing Cow cheese, which definitely did not make the squash creamy.  I added one more wedge for an extra 35 calories (only 17 or so per serving, though!), and it was plenty creamy then.  The problem may have been that my squash was fairly large.  The recipe does not say how big of a squash to get, so I got medium-sized ones at my grocery store.  I used one yellow squash and one zucchini for color variety, and it was a fairly large amount of squash in the foil pack. 

The other problem I had, since I had so much squash, was that it didn't cook in the 20 minutes the recipe calls for.  As a matter of fact, I had to more than double the cooking time, and cook the squash for another 25 minutes more - and it was still slightly crispy.  All I can think of is HG must have used very small squash when making the recipe for the cookbook.  So, if you have squash on the larger size, either just use one squash, or double the amount of Laughing Cow and the cooking time.

As a whole, though, the squash turned out pretty good.  The spices, etc. used didn't overpower the squash, but rather added a nice flavor to it.  Normally, I just steam squash and add a little salt.  This was a nice change from the usual, and for not many extra calories.  Now if only the rest of my family liked squash!  I would definitely be making it more often if that were the case.

1 comment:

  1. hey new follower!! I also love hungry girl recipes and doing ww too! I just tried this one the other day! I agree that one cheese wedge was not enough but it was still delicious looking forward to reading through your blog and trying some new recipes!!!

    ReplyDelete