Monday, October 24, 2011

Chicken-With-A-Kick Pack

Per Serving (entire recipe): 6 Points+
245 calories, 2g fat, 923mg sodium, 24.5g carbs, 5g fiber, 4.5g sugars, 31.5g protein


The recipe: "Hungry Girl 1-2-3", pages 148 - 149
or http://www.hungry-girl.com/newsletters/raw/1274


In the email version of this recipe, Hungry Girl recommends using Tabasco Chipotle Pepper Sauce, which I do not have at home.  The cookbook says you can also use whatever your favorite hot sauce is.  Because this recipe allowed for a little bit of flexibility with what type of hot sauce you use, I tried out three different versions.  In the first foil pack, I used Frank's Original Red Hot Sauce, which is one of my favorite go-to hot sauces that works well with almost anything.  In the second foil pack, I used an Asian Hot Chili Sauce, since that is my husband's go-to hot sauce.  I, personally, think the chili sauce only works well with stirfry and other Asian dishes, but he uses it on Mexican food, American food - you name it.  In the third foil pack I used salsa.

Surprisingly, the one that turned out the best was the one made with the Asian Chili Sauce.  It had a nice amount of kick to it, and was definitely the most spicy of the three.  The flavor was very good, and the hot sauce didn't taste at all out of place.  The second best one was the Frank's Red Hot one.  I love the flavor of Frank's Red Hot sauce, but I could have used more than just a teaspoon in the foil pack.  The chicken still tasted great, but there just wasn't as much heat as I would have liked to have.  My least favorite was the one made with salsa.  It definitely came out too bland.  I ended up adding a teaspoon of taco seasoning to it, though, and that made it taste great. 

If you have the type of Tabasco sauce Hungry Girl recommends using, by all means, use that.  Otherwise, go ahead and experiment with what you like best.  The combination of chicken and veggies in this recipe makes it work well with almost anything.

With all three, we ate it over a half cup of brown rice.  The rice did a good job of soaking up the extra juice, which there was plenty of.  I think this recipe is a little too saucy to eat in a tortilla, or even just by itself.  I would recommend serving it over a small serving of brown rice.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds good and six points for an entree is fine with me. Even adding the rice for another three works for dinner. We only have Texas Pete hot sauce in our house. That's my husband's favorite and I only have hot sauce on enchilada casserole and beans and rice usually. :)

    ReplyDelete