Friday, October 21, 2011

Turkey & Veggie Meatloaf Minis

Per Serving (1 mini meatloaf): 3 Points+
142 calories, 5.25g fat, 494mg sodium, 9g carbs, 1.5g fiber, 4g sugars, 14g protein


The recipe: "Hungry Girl 1-2-3", pages 274 - 275
or http://www.hungry-girl.com/newsletters/raw/1470


In an effort to add more veggies to my 3-year-old's diet, I decided to make these meatloaf muffins the other night.  Meatloaf is one of his favorite meals, and I am constantly trying different versions.  I often make meatloaf muffins as opposed to a large loaf, since I like the idea of individual meatloaf portions.  These were pretty easy to make, and I loved the fact that there were tons of veggies hidden in them.  They also smelled delicious while being cooked - thanks to the grated onions and garlic powder.  Yum!

Unfortunately, my three-year-old did not like these very much.  He kept spitting out the pieces of broccoli slaw, and eventually gave up and just ate the mashed potatoes and corn I had made to go with them.  I, on the other hand, thought they were delicious.  The flavors were really good, and I didn't mind the slightly crunchy texture the broccoli slaw gave the meatloaf.  I haven't made meatloaf in quite a while, and this recipe didn't disappoint.

Although the recipe says to divide the mixture into 9 muffins, I had plenty to fill up all 12 spots.  If you want to make 9, you will have to heap the mixture into the muffin pan.  I also did not use any baking cups.  I just sprayed the muffin pan with nonstick spray and they came out just fine. 

The main thing that was kind of disappointing was the amount of calories each of these has.  I know meatloaf is not exactly a low calorie food in the first place, but at almost 150 calories a piece, you really can only have two or maybe three of them if you want to stay on plan.  I ate a salad with mine, but was still hungry later on.  Perhaps if I had heaped them into 9 muffins, they would have been larger and more filling, though.

Overall, I thought the flavor was great with these, and I loved the fact that there were plenty of added veggies in these.  I probably will not be making these again, though, mainly because they did not get the approval of my son.

1 comment:

  1. I haven't made meatloaf in years just because of the high calories. I like the idea of adding in veggies. My daughter and I would probably love this recipe. Thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete