Monday, June 20, 2011

Caribbean Shrimp Packets

Per Serving (¼th of recipe): 7 Points+
267 calories, 3.5g fat, 341mg sodium, 35.5g carbs, 2g fiber, 26g sugars, 24.5g protein


The recipe: "Hungry Girl 1-2-3", pages 150 - 151



Since I have enjoyed most of the Hungry Girl foil-pack recipes so far, I decided to try another one.  It was again pretty easy to make.  Other than chopping up the onions and bell pepper, it consisted mainly of just throwing a bunch of ingredients onto a foil sheet, sealing with another sheet of foil, and baking in the oven. 

I really enjoyed this recipe.  It was a good combination of sweet and spicy – the sweet was from the pineapple and the spicy was from the pepper and the seasonings.  I was unable to find fresh jalapeno peppers in the grocery store, so I ended up substituting a chili pepper instead.  The meal still had a good spice to it, but I imagine that if you use a jalapeno, it would be a little spicier.  Although, the recipe does say to remove the seeds from the jalapeno before you add it to the ingredients. 


Once cooked, the shrimp/veggie mixture was a little bit saucy, so I would suggest eating the dish over rice or pasta.  I made brown rice to eat with it, since I felt it would go well over rice.  I added a little bit of soy sauce to flavor the rice, which added a nice flavor to the shrimp as well.  My husband, however, decided he wanted his shrimp on top of noodles.  He added low-fat teriyaki sauce to his dinner, and it tasted good as well.  The shrimp mixture had a teriyaki feel to it already, since the pineapple and the spiciness created that sweet and spicy flavor that teriyaki works well with.  Adding a little teriyaki sauce to flavor the noodles worked perfectly with this dish.  Of course, it added a point to his meal, but he said it was worth the extra flavor.

This was a good dish that I would make again.  I am always looking for interesting ways to cook shrimp, and I enjoyed this recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment