Thursday, June 9, 2011

Sweet Coconut Crunch Shrimp

Per Serving (1/4th of recipe, about 5 shrimp): 4 Points+
164 calories, 4.5g fat, 266mg sodium, 12g carbs, 2g fiber, 3.5g sugars, 19.5g protein

The recipe: "300 under 300", page 379


Shrimp is one of my favorite foods since it tastes great and is a protein that is very low in points.  Thankfully, Costco has fairly reasonable prices on frozen shrimp, so we always have some in the freezer.  I was in the mood for shrimp when I found this recipe for a coconut shrimp appetizer.  Normally, I don't like sweetened shredded coconut, but that is mainly on desserts.  I thought I might like coconut on something savory - and I did! 

These shrimp were very tasty, and I was definitely glad that I had made extra.  My husband enjoyed these, too, and ate WAY more than the five shrimp that makes one serving.  The only thing I felt the recipe was missing was some sort of sauce to dip the shrimp in.  They were delicious on their own, but they would have been even better with a thai peanut sauce or maybe even a stir fry or teriyaki sauce to dip them in.  Next time I will try to find a recipe for a dipping sauce that would go well with these shrimp.

What I liked about this recipe is that although it uses crushed up Fiber One cereal as part of the breading, it doesn't over-power it.  There are also panko bread crumbs and coconut to balance out the texture of the Fiber One.  My husband, who now says he dislikes the Fiber One breading that Hungry Girl uses quite often, didn't even notice that there was Fiber One cereal as part of the breading of these shrimp.  A successful recipe, and one that I would make again.

3 comments:

  1. I've made this before! Loved it. Also good as chicken tenders.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I agree, Rachellabelle. Definitely a good points bargain - especially for something that would normally be fried and high points.

    Oh_mg - I will have to try this with chicken. I never would have thought of that!

    ReplyDelete