Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Loaded 'n Oated Spinach & Mushroom Girlfredo Pizza

Per Serving (entire recipe): 7 Points+
282 calories, 8.75g fat, 745mg sodium, 34.5g carbs, 10g fiber, 4g sugars, 20g protein


The recipe: "300 under 300", pages 246 - 247
or http://www.hungry-girl.com/newsletters/raw/1197


I was worried that this pizza would not be very tasty, or at least that the crust would taste like cardboard - given that it was made with ground-up Fiber One cereal and oats.  Even the picture on the Hungry Girl website makes the crust look a little "woody".  Although the crust did have that slightly chewy texture that you get when you make something with Fiber One cereal, the oats balanced it out enough to where it was still tolerable.  Actually, it was more than tolerable.  I thought this pizza was great! 

I had a little bit of trouble trying to cook the crust in the pan.  The recipe states to spread out the Fiber One/oat/egg substitute mixture to your desired thickness in a heated pan.  Well, it is easier said than done.  The crust mixture kept sticking to the back of the spoon I was using to spread it out, so it was already halfway cooked by the time I got it into a semi-circular shape.  It ended up being thicker than what I was aiming for, and was about 5" - 6" in diameter, depending on where I measured (and yes, I did measure).  Still a pretty good pizza size, and for the amount of sauce that there was, it ended up being a good size.  There wasn't much sauce, but for this size of a pizza it was the perfect amount.


I really like pizzas that use a white garlic sauce as the base instead of a traditional marinara.  This was one of those types of pizza, and the sauce was delicious!  Creamy, garlicky, and flavorful!  There was also a ton of cheese - the 1/4 cup of mozzarella was more than enough cheese needed for this pizza.  It had plenty of veggies for the topping, and was overall pretty satisfying for the amount of points it was.

Although kind of a hassle to make, since there are quite a few steps to make this pizza, it was well worth the effort.  Yum!

2 comments:

  1. This looks really yummy! I *love* pizza but avoid it as much as possible because of all the calories - so any time I hear about substitutions, I'm down to try!

    ReplyDelete