Monday, June 6, 2011

Hot Dog-Hot Potato Hotcakes

Per Serving (1/2 of recipe, 3 hotcakes): 5 Points+
192 calories, 1.5g fat, 982mg sodium, 28g carbs, 1.75g fiber, 2g sugars, 16.5g protein

The recipe: "300 under 300", page 377
or http://www.hungry-girl.com/newsletters/raw/1574


This is another recipe that I decided to make in the hopes that my 2-year-old son would enjoy it.  He loves hot dogs, so I figured a potato pancake with hot dogs in it would be right up his alley.  He did enjoy it - especially dipped in ketchup. 

I thought the recipe turned out a little too salty though, so if I made it again I would use just a dash of salt, or none at all.  The hot dogs probably have enough salt themselves for the recipe.  I used the fat free Ball Park turkey dogs, which I prefer over the Hebrew National low fat beef dogs. 

The pancakes turned out fine, but you have to be careful not to flip them too much, or else they will start to fall apart.  I don't think I chopped up the hot dog enough, so that may be why I was having slight difficulties flipping them.  It was also tricky to make sure that the first side cooked enough to flip over easily, but not so much that it looked burned.  I doubled the recipe and made 12 of these, and the ones in the photo were the most attractive, which isn't saying much.  It was definitely difficult to cook these just right on both sides, but they all tasted equally good regardless of how some of them looked.

Overall, a fun recipe to make and eat, but not the most nutritious!  It is in the starter section of the book, though, so it was intended to be just an appetizer and not a meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment