Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Winner Winner Onion Chicken Dinner

Per Serving (entire recipe): 6 Points+
251 calories, 4.5g fat, 340mg sodium, 16g carbs, 3.75g fiber, 7g sugars, 35.5g protein


The recipe: "300 under 300", pages 166 - 167


This recipe is one of Hungry Girl's many foil-wrapped meals.  I have only made a few of these, but of those I have made, they are all very quick and easy.  Usually it just involves chopping up some veggies, seasoning everything, wrapping it in foil and baking.  Easy and hardly any clean-up! 


I thought this meal turned out really good.  It was well-flavored, and the chicken came out perfectly juicy.  I wasn't sure if there would be enough flavor at first, especially since it only calls for a teaspoon of onion soup mix for the entire recipe.  I was pleasantly surprised that there was plenty of seasoning, and this meal was definitely not bland.

One of the reasons I chose this recipe was because of the choice of vegetables in it.  I haven't made squash in a long time, so it was nice to have a different veggie with dinner for once.  My husband, however, does not like squash (the reason why I haven't had squash in so long).  I made him his own foil pack, but instead of squash I substituted broccoli.  As a matter of fact, one of the best things about this recipe is that you could easily substitute whatever vegetables you like for what the recipe calls for.  Instead of onions, mushrooms, and squash, there are plenty of other veggies that would work just as well.  Although, I would probably at least keep onions as one of the veggies, since the word "onion" is in the title of this recipe, after all!

The other nice thing about this recipe was the portion size.  Since veggies are very low in calories, there are a lot of them in this recipe.  The chicken is where the bulk of the points come from, so you could probably add even more veggies without adding to the points.  The serving size is already plenty big, though, so if you are looking for a large amount of food for low points, this is a great dinner to have.

No comments:

Post a Comment