Friday, June 3, 2011

Turkey Tetrazzini Bake

Per Serving (1/6th of recipe, about 1 1/2 cups): 7 Points+
285 calories, 9.5g fat, 942mg sodium, 28g carbs, 7g fiber, 6g sugars, 22g protein


The recipe: "300 under 300", page 180 - 181


Sometimes it is just nice to bake a casserole for dinner.  It is called comfort food for a reason, after all.  There is something familiar and comforting about yummy, creamy, baked, fatty foods.  This was not fatty, but was definitely creamy and yummy.  It had plenty of sauce, as well as a nice topping with parmesan cheese and breadcrumbs.  It also had just the right amount of ground turkey in it, and I really liked the fact that the recipe calls for seasonings in the meat as well as the sauce.

My first bite of the dish made me think it might be a little under-salted.  But, after another bite or two, it seemed just fine.  Actually, each bite made me enjoy it more and more.  I was especially happy that the peas didn't overpower the dish.  Usually, it seems as though if there are peas in a casserole, that is all I can taste.  I am not a big fan of peas, so I was worried that this would happen with this recipe.  Happily, it didn't.  There were just enough peas to where I could taste them, but they weren't the focus of the dish.

As usual, I did not use the House Foods Tofu Shirataki noodles.  I substituted 3 oz of dried spaghetti per bag of shirataki noodles, or 9 oz for this recipe.  I can't stand those noodles, so I refuse to use them in a recipe.  If a recipe sounds worth making, I just use regular pasta and add 3 - 4 points per serving (depending on if the noodles are whole grain or not).  It is quite a few extra points, but well worth it to me.


The serving size was nice and large for this recipe.  A whole cup and a half is a pretty good amount of food.  I had a salad with mine, and was definitely full after dinner.  Both my husband and 2-year-old son enjoyed this recipe, also.  It doesn't necessarily make my favorites list, but it is one I would consider making again in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment