Friday, August 5, 2011

Creamy Caramelized Onion Bisque

Per Serving (1 cup): 3 Points+
109 calories, 1g fat, 912mg sodium, 21g carbs, 1g fiber, 2.5g sugars, 4g protein


The recipe: "Hungry Girl 1-2-3", pages 202 - 203


I'm not really sure what I was thinking when I decided to make this recipe, but onion soup in 100 degree weather is not exactly the most appetizing.  I think it just sounded like an easy recipe to make, and one that I had most of the ingredients for already. 

Don't get me wrong - it was delicious.  By cooking the onions for a long period of time and caramelizing them, you get a great onion flavor without it being too strong.  Blending the onions with coffee creamer was something I never would have thought to do.  It allows you to get a creamy flavor, but without the high amount of fat and calories that heavy cream would normally add. 

This soup kind of reminded me of a french onion soup, but without the bread and cheese that is normally on top.  I might make this again in the winter when the weather is more suitable for soup.  It's just been way too hot, and the leftovers ended up going to waste since my husband refused to help me with them! 

No comments:

Post a Comment