Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Rockin' Chicken Ratatouille

Per Serving (1/2 of recipe, about 2 1/4 cups): 7 Points+
299 calories, 2g fat, 660mg sodium, 32.5g carbs, 9.75g fiber, 18g sugars, 37.5g protein


The recipe: "300 under 300", pages 154 - 155


I was just realizing the other day that I haven't exactly been making the healthiest meals recently.  Looking back at my last 10 posts, none of the recipes have much in the way of vegetables, and many of them can't even be considered remotely healthy.  Yes, they are lower in fat and calories than the alternatives, but I need to get back to eating more veggies and healthier foods in general.  I have been adding the occasional salad to my dinners, but that is about the extent of my vegetables recently. 

So, I am making several meals this week that have tons of veggies in them.  This recipe has zucchini, eggplant, bell peppers, tomatoes, onion, garlic, and some chicken.  Wow!  The best part about making something with a bunch of veggies in it is usually the portion size.  This meal was no different.  The photo below is of a very full bowl (it is hard to tell in the photo, but there is a whole lot of food there).  Since veggies are so low in calories, you can add a ton of them without costing you many points.  I was actually surprised that this recipe was 7 points+ and not lower.  You do get a very large portion for the amount of points, but I still thought it would be much lower. 


That being said, the flavor of this ratatouille was pretty good.  I added a little bit of parmesan cheese to mine for extra flavor.  However, I always feel as though ratatouille tastes like chunky spaghetti sauce without the spaghetti noodles.  I actually feel weird eating it, since to me it always seems like I am just eating sauce.  This would have been much better over noodles, but then the points would have been too high for the meal (in my opinion).  So, although the flavor was good, I think I have decided that I officially am not a fan of ratatouille.  If you are, then by all means make this recipe.  You will definitely get a lot of food for a reasonable amount of points.

No comments:

Post a Comment