Monday, August 15, 2011

Upside-Down Coconut-y Cream Pie

Per Serving (entire recipe): 4 Points+
124 calories, 3.5g fat, 243mg sodium, 24g carbs, 1.5g fiber, 6g sugars, 3g protein

The recipe: "Hungry Girl: Recipes and Survival Strategies...", page 221


I usually don't like the flavor of coconut in desserts, but for some reason, this dessert was calling my name the other night.  I did have to go out and buy coconut extract and shredded coconut, which are two ingredients I'm not sure I will use very often in the future.  I was worried I had wasted my money on one dessert.

This dessert turned out pretty good, though.  I made two of them so my husband, who is a fan of coconut, could give me his input, too.  He said it was pretty good as well, so I will take that to mean this is a successful recipe.  It had the perfect amount of coconut flavor in it without being too overwhelming.  I liked the crushed up graham crackers, which did a good job as a make-shift crust.  I also liked how simple this was to make.  It really only took a minute to whip together - no cooking, blending, or anything.  Just mix in the coconut extract to the pudding, add the other ingredients on top, and there you have it.  A yummy dessert!

However, I'm still not sure it was worth investing the money in the coconut extract and the shredded coconut.  Now I am going to have to search for more recipes that use these two ingredients so I won't feel as though I wasted my money!  More to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment