Friday, May 13, 2011

Hungry Chick Shepherd's Pie

Per Serving (1/4th of recipe): 6 Points+
280 calories, 1.75g fat, 576mg sodium, 36.5g carbs, 6g fiber, 7g sugars, 26.5g protein


The recipe: "300 under 300", page 192 - 193
or http://www.hungry-girl.com/newsletters/raw/1506


Wow, this recipe took FOREVER to make!  And I'm not even sure if it was worth all of the effort.  Part of the reason it took so long was because I had to first dethaw the chicken, and I kept getting interrupted by my 2-year-old son, but the cookbook even states it has 25 minutes of prep work time and 55 minutes of cooking time.  A lot of the time is spent microwaving the frozen veggies, but you also have to cook the chicken, cut it up into bite-sized pieces, mix it with the gravy (I used gravy from a packet since it was lower fat, so I had to make that, too), make mashed potatoes, microwave frozen cauliflower then add to the mashed potatoes and smash, microwave frozen veggies, add canned mushrooms, then layer everything in an 8x8 pan and cook for 35 minutes.  Whew! 


For all of those steps, I was really hoping I would love this dish.  I didn't.  It wasn't bad or anything - it just wasn't all that great.  The mixed veggies on the bottom weren't flavored with anything, so that part wasn't very interesting.  The chicken turned out great, though, and I loved the way it was seasoned and mixed with the gravy. 

I had a few issues with mixing the cauliflower with the mashed potatoes.  I think because the recipe used frozen cauliflower, it stayed a little too crispy.  If I had used fresh cauliflower, I could have steamed it longer and made it a little more mushy so it could be mashed in with the potatoes better.  Instead, what I ended up having was mashed potatoes with chunks of cauliflower in it. 

My husband ate a serving, but that was all.  Normally, if he likes what I am making, he will eat two servings since he is always so hungry for dinner.  I ate the leftovers for lunch the next day, and wasn't excited about it at all.  Overall, the dish was edible, but not something I would make again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment