Friday, May 6, 2011

Totally Terrific Tuna Melt

Per Serving (entire recipe): 7 Points+
298 calories, 3g fat, 1,379mg sodium, 31.5g carbs, 6.25g fiber, 4g sugars, 39g protein 


The recipe: "Hungry Girl 1-2-3", page 28 - 29
or http://www.hungry-girl.com/newsletters/raw/532 *



Yuck! Bleh! Gross! This is my least favorite recipe so far.  I would call this a Totally UN-terrific Tuna Melt in my opinion.  This tuna melt did not taste good.  Period. 

I tried to put my finger on exactly what it was that I didn't like about this.  Was it the Dijonnaise in the tuna, since I don't really like Dijon mustard?  Or was it the chopped dill pickle that didn't taste quite right in the tuna (I'm used to sweet pickle relish in tuna)?  Or maybe it was the fat free slice of american cheese that was pretty much tasteless?  I asked my husband what he thought, and he said he likes Dijon mustard, but he sure didn't like this tuna melt.  I asked what specifically he didn't like about it, and he said he didn't know - he just didn't like it.  I felt the same way.  I couldn't say exactly why, but I know I did not like this dinner.  Since the recipe called for 3 oz of tuna per tuna melt, I made three of them (about one can's worth of tuna).  We actually ended up throwing away the third tuna melt - something that almost NEVER happens in our house.  Usually, someone will suffer through eating leftovers even if it is not so great, just so we don't waste food.

So, my conclusion is that this recipe just isn't good.  Maybe we are the only ones who don't like it, and maybe those of you reading this will totally disagree with me, but I would definitely skip this recipe if I were you.  There are plenty of recipes that ARE good, so why waste time with one that isn't?

*A note about the weblink.  It is not quite the same recipe, but it is very similar to the one in her book.  The recipe online seems to be a toned-down version to the recipe from the cookbook.  The amount of Dijonnaise, pickle, etc, is all less in the online recipe, which could very well make it better.  If you really want to make this, I would use the recipe online, since it seems to have a more reasonable amount of seasoning for the tuna, and uses more bread to mask the flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment