Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Outside-In Turkey Tamale Pie

Per Serving (1/7th of recipe, 1 cup): 6 Points+
230 calories, 7.5g fat, 481mg sodium, 21g carbs, 3g fiber, 3g sugars, 19g protein

The recipe: "300 under 300", page 312 - 313
or http://www.hungry-girl.com/newsletters/raw/1465



Although this recipe was supposed to be made in the crockpot, I didn't realize it until it was already almost dinnertime.  I decided to make this over the stove, and it turned out just as good (I've made it before in the crockpot).  I just stir-fried the turkey and onions together in a pan, and then added the other ingredients as it said to in the recipe.  I then left the mixture on the stove with a lid on and simmered for about 10 minutes.  It came out as delicious as it did the last time I made it. 

This recipe was a hit with the entire family.  It is a little weird, since it tastes like tamales, but the cornmeal is mixed in with all of the ingredients.  What you end up with is a kind of tamale mush - which is not a bad thing.  I really like the flavors of this recipe, and if you are in the mood for a  healthy Mexican dish, this is a good one.

No comments:

Post a Comment