Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Pizza-fied Grilled Cheese

Per Serving (entire recipe): 5 Points+
185 calories, 5g fat, 900mg sodium, 23.5g carbs, 5.5g fiber, 5g sugars, 13g protein


The recipe: "300 under 300", page 257




Since I still had some turkey pepperoni left over from the calzones I made a while back, and I was looking for a quick dinner that both my husband and son would like, this recipe seemed perfect.  Who wouldn't like a grilled cheese sandwich that tastes like pizza?

These were easy to assemble, and cooked very quickly.  Just spread half a Laughing Cow cheese wedge on two pieces of light bread, add two tablespoons of crushed tomatoes, sprinkle italian seasoning on top, add 4 slices turkey pepperoni and a slice of fat free american cheese and you have a sandwich!  On the outside of each slice of bread, she says to spread 1/2 teaspoon of light margarine (or whatever you like to use). 

I found it very difficult to spread only 1/2 teaspoon of margarine over a whole slice of bread.  There was barely a thin layer over most of the bread, but I decided to trust the recipe and did what it said.  The sandwich cooked nicely after all.  It was perfectly toasted, and not too buttery like I would normally have made a grilled cheese sandwich.  The sandwiches cooked quickly, and dinner was ready in no time. 

The sandwiches turned out pretty good, and it was a nice change from an ordinary grilled cheese sandwich.  It actually did taste like we were eating pizza sandwiches.  My husband and son both ate theirs without complaint, although my husband did have to eat two and a half sandwiches to feel full (he ate 2 and finished my son's other half).  That is my one complaint - the sandwiches were a little on the small side.  If you ate it with a salad and a piece of fruit, it would be a complete meal for low points.  Since I still had plenty of points, I went back and made a second sandwich for myself since I enjoyed them so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment